The 2016 Chambers and Partners rankings were recently published online for the USA rankings and HNW rankings. Riddell Williams has achieved rankings in both the USA Guide and … read more
Bruce Goto is a principal and a senior member of the firm’s Corporate Transactions and Finance practice group, with a special focus on intellectual property and information technology issues. He prides himself in providing speedy and pragmatic advice for clients, and has been recognized year after year in Best Lawyers of America, Chambers, and Washington Super Lawyers to name just a few.
Bruce prepares and negotiates complex contracts covering cloud computing, outsourcing, application and technology development and licensing, information technology, enterprise services, and the manufacture, distribution, and marketing of various products. He develops brand strategies and registers trademarks, and counsels his clients on cyber security issues.
Bruce has also worked in Tokyo and Honolulu, and is conversant in Japanese. He supplements his extensive experience as outside counsel with his prior hands-on experience as in-house counsel. He regularly speaks and publishes on emerging issues in the fields of intellectual property and data privacy.
- Preparation and negotiation of agreements covering software as a service (SAAS), cloud computing, and hosted service providers
- Preparation and negotiation of agreements relating to the development, distribution, and licensing of software, computer games, and other technology (including agreements with developers, publishers, VARs, distributors, online stores, big box retailers, and end users)
- Preparation and negotiation of various agreements covering software and services used in the health care industry
- Preparation and negotiation of agreements for the manufacture, distribution and sale of industrial and consumer products
- Preparation and negotiation of agreements for the outsourcing of services covering IT departments, call centers, product support, and logistics services
- Preparation and negotiation of confidentiality and nondisclosure agreements and trade secret licenses
- Preparation of privacy policies and HIPAA compliance documents such as business associate agreements
- Preparation and negotiation of book publishing, video and film production, and celebrity endorsement agreements
- Preparation and negotiation of co-marketing and joint promotion agreements
- Preparation and negotiation of licenses and assignments for trademarks, copyrights and patents
- Providing strategic counseling on branding and package design issues (experience includes the filing of hundreds of trademark applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office)
- Providing counseling on copyright issues, including the registration of copyrights
Bruce is conversant in Japanese.
When he is not in the office, Bruce can often be found working out at the Washington Athletic Club, or enjoying a wilderness or urban hike. The four years he spent working as an attorney internationally greatly expanded his perspectives, and he enjoys learning about other cultures and travelling to them when he can.
- Speaker, “Trends in Data Security and Health Information Privacy,” CLE sponsored by Seattle University School of Law, August 3, 2016
- Speaker, “Cloud and Big Data Contracting Issues,” CLE sponsored by Law Seminars International, June 27, 2016
- Speaker, “Ethical Issues in Technology and Law,” CLE sponsored by Riddell Williams, May 24, 2016
- Speaker, “Non-Disclosure, Non-Solicitation, Non-Compete,” Riddell Williams Breakfast Briefing, March 29, 2016
- Speaker, “Data Security for Health Information: Perspectives, Trends and Risks,” CLE sponsored by Seattle University School of Law, August 12, 2015
- Speaker, “Data Privacy and Security Obligations: The Essential Questions Every Business Must Ask,” RW Breakfast Briefing, May 6, 2015
- Speaker, “Unintended Consequences: Social Media’s Assault on Contractual and Workplace Relationships,” RW Breakfast Briefing, April 23, 2013
- Speaker, “Opportunities and Risks in Cloud Computing,” CLE sponsored by Wells Fargo Advisors, 2012
- Speaker, “From On Site to Outsourcing to Cloud: Seeking Success in Service Agreements,” RW Breakfast Briefing, April 24, 2012
- Speaker, “Contracting and Negotiation,” and “Risk Management and Compliance Issues,” Institute for Supply Management – Western Washington, Leading Supply Management Strategies Conference, 2012
- Speaker, “Starting Out Smart: Growing Your Tech Business On A Shoestring,” RW/COJK Breakfast Briefing, 2010
- Speaker, “Managing the Mess: Best Practices for the E-Docs Challenge,” Emeritus Corporation Divisional Meeting, 2010
- Author, “Intellectual Property Considerations,” a section in the Washington Nonprofit Handbook, published by the Washington Attorneys Assisting Community Organizations and the King County Bar Association, 2009
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Featured as one of “Seattle’s Top Lawyers” by Seattle Magazine
- Named one of Seattle’s Top Business Lawyers by Seattle Business Monthly
- Named one of the “Top 40” IP Lawyers in Seattle, and a Washington Super Lawyer®
- Peer reviewed rating of AV Preeminent® by LexisNexis® Martindale-Hubbell®
*Peer review Rated Lawyer of AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5.* *AV® Preeminent™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- A Contemporary Theatre, Former Officer and Director
- Asian Bar Association of Washington, Former Office and Director
- Asian Counseling & Referral Services, Pro Bono Service Provider and Former Executive Committee Member
- International Trademark Association
- Japan-America Society
J.D., University of California at Berkeley, Moot Court Board; IRLJ
(now called the Berkeley Journal of Employment and Labor Law)
B.A. University of California at Davis, Economics
Phi Beta Kappa; Regents Scholar
Keio University Center for Japanese Language Studies, Tokyo
Bruce T. Goto's NEWS, EVENTS, AND PUBLICATIONS
Riddell Williams congratulates the following individuals who have been designated 2016 Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, Top Women Attorneys and Top 100 Super Lawyers: 2016 Super Lawyers Bruce J. … read more
Of course we think our attorneys at Riddell Williams are the best, now it’s official. Several Riddell Williams attorneys have been recognized by Best Lawyers for outstanding work. … read more
Join attorneys Bruce Goto, Gavin Skok and Shata Stucky as they discuss the data management, privacy and security questions every business should ask, and the actions every business … read more
The highly regarded Chambers USA recently released its rankings of practice areas and attorneys. Riddell Williams is pleased to announce that the following practice areas and attorneys were … read more
Learn how: Texting and other electronic communications can inadvertently modify existing contracts Blogs and other postings could waive confidentiality obligations NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) decisions impact social … read more
Managing risks associated with vendor selection and services implementation The structure and key provisions in service agreements relating to information technology (IT), outsourcing, and cloud computing Some thoughts … read more
Presentation date April 13, 2010. Entity formation Corporate governance Founders’ and shareholders’ agreements Patent and invention protection Trademark protection and branding For more information, contact Bruce Goto.