Bridging the Valuation Gap in M&A Transactions with Effective Contingent Consideration Provisions Contingent consideration provisions are frequently used in M&A transactions. Such provisions have several advantages, including bridging … read more
Pamela Grinter is a senior member of the Firm’s Corporate Transactions and Finance practice group. Her practice primarily focuses on business and tax law.
Pamela represents private, public and nonprofit businesses throughout the region in the full range of business transactions—with an unusual depth of experience benefiting clients within the food and beverage industry. She offers a customized approach to solving each client’s unique problems.
Pamela often serves her clients in the role of general counsel. She especially enjoys the meaningful and productive relationships this role allows her to develop with company decision-makers including executives, owners and board members. In this role, she often works closely with her colleagues in the areas of employment, intellectual property protection and litigation.
In particular, Pamela represents both buyers and sellers in all types of strategic relationships involving the purchase, sale or combination of businesses. In addition to food industry clients, she has represented many healthcare, aerospace and hospitality clients in this area.
Pamela assists business clients of all sizes through the full business lifecycle, including choice of entity and entity formation (especially partnerships and limited liability companies), shareholder management, real estate transactions, distribution agreements, franchising arrangements, commercial agreements and business terminations.
In her tax practice, Pamela assists clients—especially partnerships and limited liability companies—with a wide range of local, state, federal and international tax matters, including strategic tax planning. She assists a wide variety of tax-exempt organizations with their corporate, state and federal tax matters, including initial organization, federal tax exemptions and reorganizations. Putting this knowledge to work, she has served on the boards of a wide range of nonprofits.
- Represented AIM Aerospace in its sale to Liberty Hall Capital Partners for $220 million
- Represented Group Health Permanente, P.C. in the acquisition of Group Health Cooperative by Kaiser Permanente
- Represented Sahale Snacks, Inc. in its sale to the J.M. Smucker Co.
- Represented Taco Grande NW II, LLC in the sale of 12 Taco Bell restaurants to Taco Bell of America, LLC
- Represented Gary and Susan Carlson in the sale of the Best Western Rocky Mountain Lodge to DNC Parks & Resorts at Whitefish, Inc.
- Represented Emeritus Assisted Living in its acquisition of Summerville Senior Living for $230,775,000 of common stock
- Represented Thrift Recycling Management in a sale of equity
- Co-counsel to The Odom Corporation in its Joint Venture with Southern Wine & Spirits
- Represented Crosscut Public Media in its acquisition of the assets of Crosscut LLC
- Represented Akva Group ASA and its subsidiary Maritech International AS in the sale of SureFish, Inc. to NSF International Food Safety, LLC
- Represented Eldec Corporation, a subsidiary of Crane Aerospace in its acquisition of the assets of Phase IV Engineering, Inc.
- Represented Edmund Terpilowski in the sale of Microsurgical Technology, Inc.
- Represented Open Interface North America, Inc. by Qualcomm Incorporated
- Represented Galaxy Gig Harbor, LLC is its sale of equity
- Represented Elliott Bay Design Group in its sale to a subsidiary of American Commercial Lines, Inc.
- Represented AIM Aviation USA, Inc. in its acquisition of Precision Pattern, Inc.
- Represented YouthCare in the Washington State Housing Finance Commission Nonprofit Revenue Bond (YouthCare Orion Project)
- Represented Country Stoves of Washington, Inc. in the sale of its assets to Lennox Hearth Products, Inc.
- Represented LHP, Inc. in its consolidation with Premier Pools, Inc.
- Represented Cibo Naturals, LLC in its sale to Monterey Pasta Company
- Represented C&N Acquisition LLC in the acquisition of CIBO, Inc.
- Represented Specialty Frozen Products, L.P. in the sale of its assets to Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream, Inc.
- Contingent Consideration: Bridging the Valuation Gap in M&A Transactions with Effective Contingent Consideration Provisions, Valuation Strategies, July/August, 2016
- Contingent Consideration: Bridging the Valuation Gap in M&A Transactions with Effective Contingent Consideration Provisions, Valuation Strategies, May/June, 2016
- Speaker, Beverage Law: Ongoing Transactions and Business Expansion, WSBA CLE, August 11, 2015
- Speaker, Washington State Tax Update, April 2015
- Speaker, Exit Strategy: Planning for the Future, Meet Up Group, February 2015
- Speaker, Crossing the Line for Mission and Revenue: Issues in Joint Venturing with For-Profit Entities and Unrelated Business Income, November 2012
- Speaker, Contingent Consideration, Earnouts and Holdbacks in M&A Transactions, December 2011
- Speaker, Shift Risk and Liability: Guaranties, Indemnities and Releases in Business Transactions, October 2011
- Speaker, Key Questions Not-For-Profit Leaders Should be Ready to Answer, Morgan Stanley 14th Annual Not-for-Profit Seminar
- Speaker, Strategic Thinking for Nonprofits in 2011: Succeeding in a Changing Economy, February 2011
- Speaker, Equity Compensation in Limited Liability Companies, October 2010
- Speaker, Strategic Planning in a Weak Economy, Clark Nuber Not-for-Profit Governance Conference, October 2009
- Speaker, Nonprofit Board Governance and the New Form 990, February 2009
- Speaker, Back to School: Basics in Board Governance, October 2008
- Recognized in Super Lawyers’ list of Washington’s Top 50 Women Attorneys
- Adjunct Professor at Seattle University Law School
- Recognized as Washington Super Lawyer® in Business Law
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rated™ as AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5*
- Washington State Delegate to the American Bar Association House of Delegates
- President of the Washington State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, 1995-1996
*Peer review Rated Lawyer of AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5. AV® Preeminent™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories—legal ability and general ethical standards.
- American Bar Association, Fellow
- King County Bar Association, Member and Past Treasurer
- Washington State Bar Association, Taxation Section and Past Chair, Business Law Section
- South Seattle College Foundation, Trustee
- Washington Attorneys Assisting Community Organizations – Founder, former Director and Treasurer
- Friends of the Farms, Former Director and Treasurer
- New Beginnings for Battered Women and Their Children, former Director and Treasurer
- PROVAIL (meeting the needs of people with cerebral palsy), Past Director and Treasurer
- Seattle Children’s Theater, former Trustee
- Woodland Park Zoo Society, Past Director
B.S., Santa Clara University, 1988
J.D., University of Puget Sound, cum laude, 1991
Pamela A. Grinter's NEWS, EVENTS, AND PUBLICATIONS
Riddell Williams congratulates the following individuals who have been designated 2016 Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, Top Women Attorneys and Top 100 Super Lawyers: 2016 Super Lawyers Bruce J. … read more
Riddell Williams law firm is proud to have represented client Group Health Permanente in negotiations that led to Kaiser Permanente agreeing to acquire Group Health Cooperative. The Healthcare … read more
Riddell Williams law firm leads successful sale for client who has been with the firm for over twenty years. Pamela Grinter, Principal and Chair of the Corporate group, … read more
Substantial amendments to Washington’s existing Limited Liability Company Act, Chapter 25.15 RCW (the “Act”), became effective on January 1, 2016. These amendments create new default rules that make … read more
Join attorneys from our Corporate and Tax Groups for a discussion of how the latest Washington State tax developments could impact Washington businesses. Learn about: Significant state tax … read more
Crossing the Line for Mission and Revenue: Issues in Joint Venturing with For-Profit Entities and Unrelated Business Income
What impact does unrelated business income have on our organization’s tax exempt status? What income is subject to UBIT? How can we structure a joint venture to reduce … read more
When does it make sense to provide for an earnout? What practical considerations should a buyer or seller consider in negotiating contingent consideration? How does a holdback impact … read more
Corp Trans/Finance: Shifting Risk and Liability: Guaranties, Indemnities, and Releases in Business Transactions
Guaranties: When I’m asking for one, how can I make sure it’s enforceable? When I’m giving one, where is there room for negotiation? Indemnities: In the event of … read more
Addressing continuing challenges in an improving but still volatile economic climate Lessons learned for effective leadership and operation Options for joining forces with others to achieve strategic goals … read more
The recently enacted Small Business Jobs and Credit Act of 2010 (the 2010 SBJCA) includes a number of important tax provisions relating to small business growth. One important provision … read more
Use of capital and profits interests as incentive mechanisms Viability of option plans for LLC equity Tax consequences of various types of equity compensation arrangement For more information, … read more
News Alert (PDF) As many tax-exempt public charities have likely discovered, reporting for the revised Form 990 and understanding the IRS’s views on good governance is not an … read more
Presentation date February 4, 2009. An overview of: Responsibilities of nonprofit directors A review of best nonprofit governance practices, including conflict of interest, whistleblower policies and codes of … read more