Background Checks and Pre-Employment Screening: It’s Not Just Federal Law Anymore
Join Larry Shapero for an important discussion about the variety of state, federal and local laws that now restrict or impact the way in which employers can conduct background checks, seek information about job applicants, or use the information that is obtained through background checks or through other research efforts by employees or their agents. Discussion topics will include:
- The federal Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Washington state law that restricts the use of ‘credit checks’
- Seattle’s recently enacted restrictions on the use of criminal convictions in job hiring decisions, and how your employment applications may need to be changed
- The dangers of using information obtained from casual (or not so casual) internet searches
- Whether employers can still perform drug testing or ask about marijuana use
For more information, contact Larry Shapero.
Download the presentation (PDF).